Skip to main content

Spotlight posts



 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WE ARE NOW PEOPLE OF THE SCREEN

In the article  Reading in a Whole New Way  Kevin Kelly worries that devices like Apple's iPad nurtures action over contemplation. Funny, because I am reading his article on my iPad..;) In ancient times, authors often dictated their books. Dictation sounded like an uninterrupted series of letters, so scribes wrote down the letters in one long continuous string, likeforexamplehere. Text was written without spaces between words until the 11th century. This continuous script made books hard to read, so only a few people were accomplished at reading them aloud to others. Being able to read silently to yourself was considered AN AMAZING TALENT . Writing was an even rarer of amazing talents at that time. In 15th-century Europe only one in 20 adult MALES could write. Crazy to think that women did not have a right to read at all. Over time, by 1910 three-quarters of the towns in America with more than 2,500 residents had a public library. WE became a people of the book!       I do not kn

A 25-YEAR-OLD BET COMES DUE: HAS TECH DESTROYED SOCIETY?

WHO IS KEVIN KELLY?             WIRED's executive editor and resident techno-optimist. Kelly had asked Sale for an interview. But  he planned an ambush... WHO IS PATRICK SALE?             Author; adored Luddites.  THE CHIEF CONFLICT BETWEEN THE TWO MEN            Kelly had just read an early copy of Sale's upcoming book, called Rebels Against the Future .  It told the story of the 19th-century Luddites, a movement of workers opposed to the machinery of the Industrial Revolution. Before their rebellion was squashed and their leaders hanged, they literally destroyed some of the mechanized looms that they believed reduced them to cogs in a dehumanizing engine of mass production. In early 1995, Amazon was less than a year old, Apple was in the doldrums, Microsoft had yet to launch Windows 95, and almost no one had a mobile phone. But Sale, who for years had been churning out books complaining about modernity and urging a return to a subsistence economy, felt that computer technolog

PERSONAL BRAND WORKSHEET

1. WHAT AM I MOST PASSIONATE ABOUT? WHAT DO I CARE DEEPLY ABOUT? Lately I am really passionate about travelling. I would want to get a job that would not require to be at the office or like maybe ones a month. Also, a good salary would let me travel and work at the same time. 2. WHAT ARE MY TOP 3-4 PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES--THINGS THAT DEFINE HOW I MAKE THINGS HAPPEN? Leader, candid, rebellious, humorous, strict . 3. WHAT SPECIFIC PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCES REFLECT MY STRENGTHS AND VALUES? WHAT ARE MY 3-4 GREATEST STRENGTHS THAT HAVE BENEFITED OR HELPED OTHERS AROUND ME? My internship supervisor said that I got and figured out everything in 7 minutes and that I am really good at whatever I am doing. I think all five strengths listed above helped me to impress him and even myself;) 4. WHAT DO I HAVE TO OFFER THAT NO ONE ELSE DOES? WHAT MAKES ME UNIQUE AND SETS ME APART FROM MY PEERS? You will never find more organised person, that is never late and does not do or take anything less than 100%.